FYI

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bill Hart-Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: December 13, 2007 3:48:34 PM GMT-05:00

Thanks again for allowing us to come and talk today. You are welcome to look at one of the more developed SWAP-based applications that we used in the demo today. It's called the Literacy Resource Exchange and it lives here:

http://tne.wide.msu.edu

It's the Beta site that was built for the community of literacy teachers (K-12), student teachers, and teacher educators. You can create an account, flesh out a profile, upload resources, start a group, etc. Not all of the SWAP modules are represented in the LRE, but the integration of two of the most important functions the group named today are: social networking and resource sharing/commenting. Our collaborative editing and versioning modules are not integrated into the LRE at the moment, for example (hence "exchange" in Literacy Resource Exchange). But we can arrange for access to some of these too.

To answer Missy's question, our approach is to license the use of the swap core services and modules and encourage third-party development/mods as well; we are working with MSU Technologies on the licensing options now, but it will certainly be some sort of open-source model if not the GPL.

One thing we did not talk about in the meeting is how our process works since we don't have a ready-built product that you can just install, but I assume that WIDE would help an IT exchange working group of some sort to implement a SWAP installation that could, over time, be extended as the community itself saw fit. If the core set of functions that the community wants to begin with are similar to the LRE's, this could go pretty quickly.

-Bill H-D

Mike and Bill,

Thank you very much for presenting during the MSU IT Exchange meeting. Quite a few people commented on SWAP and would like to pursue this further.

Could you read the question below and let me know if this request can be filled?

Thank you, Katherine Ball