Here at the College of Veterinary Medicine, we currently have:  GroupWise 7 running on NetWare OES for ~1,500 users and resources

We are in the process of moving this to GroupWise 7 on SLES/OES in an active-active clustered configuration connected to an EMC Fibre Channel SAN.

In my defense of GW over Exchange, here are some very important points:
- GroupWise is cross-platform for both the server and end user, Exchange 2007 server will only run on Windows 2003 R2 and Outlook is only Windows-based (maybe on Mac too?)
- Licensing is much simpler: GroupWise only requires you purchase a license for each user.  For Exchange you must an Exchange server license for any server that will run and Exchange service, both a Windows CAL and an Exchange CAL for each user, a license for each user who want to use the full Outlook Client, etc
- GroupWise is directory agnostic, while Exchange requires MS AD.
- You have the ability to cluster GroupWise (on Linux) for no additional cost.  Trying to do this with Exchange will most certainly require purchasing/upgrading licenses and products.

--

Stephen Bogdanski
Network Support