This has been SOP at purchasing for as long as I can remember, and I've been
here 18+ years.

-Scott
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Rockwell" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 2:04 PM
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] FAQ - Avoiding On-line Software Tools

Debbie,

The FAQ looks great and is important given the complexity of this "policy".

I have a question for whoever wishes to respond...

There is a statement in the policy, "The university would not agree to
the indemnity provisions included in the terms of use, and furthermore
faculty and staff do not have the institutional authority to accept the
offered terms." It seems to me that this would apply to basically every
commonly used commercial and open source software program. Do we go back
to stone tablets because the software vendor indemnifies themselves in
the license agreement? Isn't everybody routinely exceeding their
"institutional authority" by accepting software terms of use?

-Tom