vBulletin will allow for subscribing to individual message threads,
which you then can receive notification through email when they are
updated.

Also another method of keeping updated could be to implement RSS feeds.
 Personally I think RSS feeds are a godsend, for keeping me informed
about updates on  a wide array of web resources (everything from local
news, to tech forums, political blogs, software updates from major
vendors, etc).  These feeds married with an online RSS-aggregator (I use
Bloglines, but there are others like Google Reader) allow me to access
and keep up-to-date on many things from any web-enabled device.
--

Stephen Bogdanski
Network Support

>>> On 12/14/2007 at 10:27 AM, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Do any of these bulletin board systems give you the ability to post
as well
> as receive messages via e-mail?    (I just now took a quick look at
the
> vbulletin faq and didn't see obvious evidence of such a feature.)
>
> John Gorentz
>
> At 01:19 AM 12/14/2007, Peter J Murray wrote:
>>To complicate things a bit.
>>
>>PHPbb3 is now gold and out. http://www.phpbb.com
>>vBulletin 3.7 will be adding several SWAP like features.
> http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249460
>>Being added: thread tagging, user created groups, improved member
profile
> page, and more.
>>
>>As evidenced by the flurry of messages on NAG after the meeting,
despite
> votes to the contrary, it seems that asynchronous communications are

> important to the group, and a forum would be a great way to keep our

> respective mailboxes clean, and still engage in lively discussions.
As