On Dec 13, 2007, at 2:19 PM, Alan Herman wrote:

> Service to AFS (afs.msu.edu), netfiles (netfiles.msu.edu), and MSU
> NetID
> (netid.msu.edu) will not be available. User space on www.msu.edu will
> also be inaccessible.
>
> I am reviewing the impact of the upcoming maintenance.  When NetID is
> mentioned for 12/29, will all systems that use NetID be
> unavailable?  I
> need to know, so I can inform my user base that uses WebCredit, eHR
> and
> the attendance system.  The scheduled downtime is 8 hours.  Will NetID
> be down for the full 8 hours?
>
> If anyone knows, please let me know.

NetID self-service functions will be unavailable during this time.
That means, activation of accounts, changing passwords, changing ids,
etc will not work the entire 8 hours.

An outage of *Authentication* during this time will be very limited
(most systems will not be affected), and only those affected
(basically, any system that uses KrbIV instead of Krb5 natively) will
not allow authentication between 7-8AM.

So, I think the answer to your question, in general is: your users
will likely see no impact to authentication service (unless you wrote
some home-grown application that you didn't migrate to Krb5).

./mk
--
Matt Kolb  <[log in to unmask]>
Academic Computing & Network Services