Thanks, Doug.  It's good to know that if I got rid of my MSU-owned phone I wouldn't be way out in left field as far as the University is concerned.

That's what I'd really like to do, but there are complications that may or may not be unique to us, which is one reason I'm asking.

Here at KBS a lot of us have Nextel phones on some sort of shared-minute plan.    There is a marginal cost only if the pooled minutes are exceeded, which I think hardly ever happens, if at all.

For user support calls people probably wouldn't mind if I had my own phone instead.

But our Physical Plant people like to use the Direct Connect feature, which works like a walkie-talkie and has no per-usage costs.   If I didn't have a Nextel phone maybe they'd be less likely me to call me about projects we're working on, or to let me know they're hearing strange noises from one of my equipment cabinets in another building, or things like that.   But it's not an attractive option for me to get a Nextel phone as my personal phone (with an allowance to cover University-related calls) because there is no Nextel coverage in the places where I really need it for personal use, like when I'm off an a bicycling expedition away from the Interstates and urban areas.

There are probably some who think I should just get used to having two phones, but I find that the complication of two phones is too cumbersome.  And even if I could overcome my own absentmindedness about keeping track of two batteries and in managing the contents of my pants pockets, I'd have issues.   For example, I have our WhatsUp system send important alerts to to my phone via e-mail.  If I have to set up so those alerts go to both phones, it's too difficult to keep straight what I've done on each phone.  And now the new regulations that would require me to do the necessary recordkeeping for each would make it even worse.

Maybe I could set it up to forward messages to one phone during normal working hours and to the other otherwise, but my normal working hours are somewhat unpredictable.  Hmmm.  I wonder if there is such a thing as being able to forward my Nextel calls (and e-mails) to my personal phone.   If I could easily turn that on and off, maybe I'd have something.

Is anyone else dealing with those issues?

John