Chris –

At the University of Michigan-Flint, and as a part of the University of Michigan system, there is no prescribed formal written policy about opening/closing prayers at commencements or any other significant university-sponsored events. I quickly checked with the UM-Flint Vice Chancellor for Student Services and Enrollment Management, our Human Resource and Affirmative Action office and I did an online search for any hits on “religion” and “prayer” in the UM “Standard Practice Guide” and could not identify any specific policies on this matter other than the usual non-discrimination statements regarding religion. At the same time, the practice is that at times when it might seem otherwise appropriate for any kind of spiritual or religious practice to take place, the approach is simply to allow for a “moment of silence” to allow for each person to pray, or not, on his/her own.

Otherwise, in the more than 12 years that I’ve attended commencement exercises here at UM-Flint (and I haven’t missed a winter or spring commencement yet), we have never had an opening or closing prayer.

I hope this helps.

Have a restful and enjoyable holiday break!!!

Tendaji

Mr. Tendaji W. Ganges
Assistant to the Chancellor and
Executive Director