From: Robert Kriegel [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 10:18 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Student developed front end to mail.msu.edu

 From what I have been able to discern so far state-mail.com is hosted
by a
local web hosting service named www.LiquidWeb.com.  The html source
indicates that the site is using google-analytics urchin software,
presumabely to track site usage.  Has anyone used State-Mail and then
checked their AFS space to check on the permissions for the statemail
folder that state-mail creates on your AFS space?

The Opinion article in the State News today starts, "After endless
complaints about the problems of the current MSU e-mail system, it
appears
the plight of students, faculty and staff could be over".

This application is getting a lot of press quickly.  I could see a many
people, including faculty and staff with sensitive data, getting on
board
in a heartbeat.  Is anyone from MSU's email system or LCT digging deeper

into this system to determine whether it is appropriate for use in
official
MSU communications?

Bob Kriegel
systems analyst, Dept of Animal Science, MSU