I am working on a Windows XP pro system where Windows Encrypting File System (EFS) is enabled for their My Documents folder.   All of these files have become locked and they are unable to view, copy, or remove the file encryption.  I was unable to clear the encrypt contents to secure data check box under the user logon, the local administrator, or as a domain admin.  I have tried to take ownership of the files, import their certificate and then clear the secure data checkbox but that did not work. There was no backup made for the original certificate or keys and the user’s password has not been changed.

If there is anyone who has expertise in file encryption and has any ideas on how to repair or remove this type of encryption it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tim