From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of John Gorentz
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 11:01 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Rural High Speed Internet Service Providers

Two of my siblings in northern, rural Minnesota have Wild Blue.  They
used to have DSL; then there was a buyout and for some reason it was no
longer available to them.  I was considering Wild Blue, but ended up
paying Comcast $1700 to get their service run to our house.   My take on
it was that Wild Blue was better than dialup, but everyone who has it
would rather have DSL or cable.   There are some idiosyncracies with
Wild Blue, so it would be well to consider exactly what kind of usage
there will be.   For a while everything that wasn't port 80 seemed to be
run at a lower priority, for example.  They do a lot of caching.   If
you're surfing to cached web sites, you'll do better than otherwise.
The way they calculate bandwidth can be different from the way you think
it should be measured.

My sibs are reasonably satisfied with it -- especially the one who
doesn't have very demanding expectations.   But the moment DSL becomes
available again, they're gone.

John Gorentz
W.K. Kellogg Biological Station

At 10:15 AM 11/5/2007, Lee A Duynslager wrote:
>I have a faculty member who would have to pay a considerable amount of
money approx. $2K to have Millenium cable run out to their rural home.
>I was wondering if any of you have any experience with Wild Blue High
Speed Internet Service or know of anybody who does?