I'm aware of that argument, but I don't believe that it holds as much
weight in practice as it may appear at first blush.  Certainly they
would argue a percentage of "successful" advertising would be lost.  But
those of us that are really ad averse don't buy things from them anyhow.
I can't think of the last time I clicked on an Internet ad.  It's been
years.  For the past half-dozen or so years I've watched very little
television, and listen to no commercial radio due to my aversion to 50%
ad content.  So they lost me a long time ago anyhow.  By not viewing the
dang things on web pages, I'm basically just saving them bandwidth.
Those persons who click them (you are out there somewhere, they make
billions annually) I think would not be so quick to turn them off.

Also, there are alternatives.  I have used services that force you to
watch an ad prior to reading their article.  For the occasional random
article, I'll tolerate the ad if I want the article bad enough.  One
site I read frequently dismissed with this irritation if you paid -- and
I did for several years.  So there are ways around this -- we're not
going to kill content providers.

I recall recently reading (probably on isc.sans.org) about hackers that
were redirecting users to malware infected sites using google ads.
Security concerns of this severity, on top of the already ubiquitous
tracking of users through cookies (ie. Doubleclick), raises the bar.  I
imagine many corporate IT units have every reason to block IPs on this
basis.

Interesting conversation, as usual.  Cheers,

Brian Hoort