I feel that the root of all this is that many students don't
understand the difference between their MSU mail account and the
Webmail application.

Search the statenews.com archives for "webmail,"  you'll see what I'm
talking about. What about informing people of the other, more valid,
options like Apple Mail, Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora, etc. by adding
a link to the Techbase article about configuring them somewhere
prominent in the Webmail interface?

~mike

On Nov 28, 2007, at 10:54 AM, Robert Kriegel wrote:

> Brian H., I completely agree with you.  However, The State News has
> now put it out there that this may be a solution for faculty and
> staff too.  And Dr. Gift's quote yesterday only referred to
> students.  Because this project is being done by an MSU student,
> many faculty and staff are not going to make a connection between
> this project and the official MSU statement in early November about
> "avoiding use of online software tools such as Google Apps, Gmail,
> and Microsoft Office Live".  A statement from Dr. Gift on this
> matter or a FAQ I could point users who are interested in switching
> to state-mail would indeed be useful.
>
> Brian M., thanks for the unique logins info.  Clearly the press
> articles are resulting in increased usage of the state-mail system.
> It will be interesting to see what the login stats look like a week
> from now.  By then, we might now if we're looking at a blip, a
> trend, or a tidal wave.
>
> Bob Kriegel
> systems analyst, Dept of Animal Science, MSU

Mike Joseph
Programmer/Web Tech.
The State News, MSU
http://www.statenews.com