It sounds like a hobby as opposed to a sanctioned project with staff
oversight.

I agree with others who have said that it should not be used for
official communication. Even though this application is interacting
with MSU's mail server, it has similar drawbacks to GMail (and
potentially a few more).

There's a very fine line between encouraging innovation like this and
stifling it. I think it's alright for students to use at their own
risk (like they would with any other alternative email solution), but
it would be nice if this was addressed in a techbase FAQ somewhere (is
it?).

While it's an interesting concept, I have no intention of using it.