Always being fascinated at how younger people  use technology,
I watch my kids and their friends using electronics in general.  If
you accept portable MP3 players and computers, just about all
folks college age at least have the ability to play them.  I know
a deaf person who has an MP3 player with a vibrating external
speaker, such that music had a distinctive sound/feel.  So I think
you could safely assume that MP3 are close to universal.

Video is probably close to the same -- between real player,
quicktime and windows media player, the windows/mac world
is covered pretty well.

Since all those programs are free, anyone with a computer
could install them for free, so I don't think thats much of a
hinderance.  For those running open-source  operating
systems, there are enough options that MP3's and most
forms of video are playable, with the exception of Flash.
As long as you stay away from Flash you would be dealing
with media that everyone with a computer can deal with.
I'd say go for it.

--STeve Andre'
Political Science