The slowdowns and external site DNS issues were the result of a carrier
equipment failure in the Cogent POP in Chicago.  Cogent is one of the
general Internet service providers that Merit uses; Level3 being the
other.  Merit rerouted around Cogent shortly before noon, which brought
most service back to normal, although some slowdowns were still seen
this afternoon.

Cogent reported that service was back to normal by 16:00, and Merit
returned routing to the normal path at that time.

Most of this information can be found by going to the Service Status
entry for this incident and clicking on the problem tracking case number
to obtain more details.

  +----> Service Status:  http://servicestatus.msu.edu/

  +-+--> Incident:  http://servicestatus.msu.edu/status_detail.php?id=1986

    +--> Problem case:  https://contact.cl.msu.edu/caselookup/view_case.php?casenumber=00057900

Merit is in the process of obtaining additional Internet bandwidth from
Level3, but this is about six weeks overdue from Level3.

Doug

--

Doug Nelson, Network Manager		 |  [log in to unmask]
Academic Computing and Network Services	 |  Ph: (517) 353-2980