This is a note to myself. Sorry for the spam, but I will forget where I
put my notes.

The Nth degree implementation description
v.01 Not perfect but very simple and effective.

example ads.spam.com

dns entry for ads.spam.com points to ads.msu.edu
a second entry in dns for ads_spam_com.ads.msu.edu that points to
the real server.

You vhost the ads.spam.com on ads.msu.edu

You cgi the the 404 page for that vhost to dynanically generate whatever
replacement message you wish to return.

For the click-thru, since you know the requested vhost, and you should be
able to grab the requested url. You simply substitute the
ads_spam_com.ads.msu.edu, along with the error link path as the url in the
cgi 404 error code.