On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Hoort, Brian wrote:

> I'm aware of that argument, but I don't believe that it holds as much
> weight in practice as it may appear at first blush.

I agree. how many people use pop up blockers now? Did that put a dent in
advertising yes. but has it resurfaced elsewhere again? yes.

This is the real question.. Is it more important to save the university
money rather then supporting the free services with every 100th or 1000th
ad display? A 200k(low end?) 20-200Megs of data to give the advertiser 10
cents. How much does that cost the university? (i don't know, but at some
point, it is cheaper to send the people a check.)

It also would be interesting to find out how many tech support spyware
issues we have related to slow computers caused by stuff that we would be
blocking. IE how much time/money is spent trying to get rid of the
spyware/crap on the computers in the first place and at what cost.

A firefox plugin, will only work with firefox, that doesn't include
IE/safari users, IM users, etc.

If you take the idea to the nth degree, and have ads.msu.edu, we also
circumvent an issue of people wanting to use the listserv to send spam
to advertise their events. It, however, won't reach the offcampus students
nearly as effectively.

  Sean O'Malley, Information Technologist
  Michigan State University