Many thanks, Julie and Heather, for getting this started!

Steve

On Nov 28, 2007, at 12:37 PM, Julie Libarkin wrote:

Welcome to the latest collaboration of the geoscience education research and geocognition research community – the Geoscience Education Research Listserv (GEOED-RESEARCH)! This list is exactly the outcome we hoped would come out of the interest group meeting held at GSA in Oct. 2007. Several organizations and universities offered to host this list, a great illustration of the significant interest the community has in moving our common research interests forward! We didn’t want to choose among all of these options, so we went with the simplest route. The list is running off of a mailing-list management product called LISTSERV, licensed through Michigan State University. We are co-hosting the list, so it is truly multi-institutional, and the list is designed so that anyone can join and post. Instructions for easy subscribing and emailing to the list are appended below. We have also added a few guidelines for list-serve etiquette!

We hope this listserv allows for open dialogue and new collaborations. Please encourage those of your colleagues interested in geoscience education research to join, whether they are active researchers, avid readers, or interested collaborators. We are looking forward to the opportunity to share ideas, and learn from each other.

Let the conversations begin!

Julie Libarkin
Heather Petcovic

1) TO SEND A MESSAGE TO GEOED-RESEARCH
Any registered subscriber can send a message to the list by emailing the message to [log in to unmask]

2) TO SUBSCRIBE TO GEOED-RESEARCH:
Send an email to [log in to unmask]. The body of the email should contain the SUBSCRIBE command, as:

SUBSCRIBE GEOED-RESEARCH firstname lastname

3) TO UNSUBSCRIBE TO GEOED-RESEARCH: Send an email to [log in to unmask]. The body of the email should contain the SIGNOFF command, and must originate from the subscriber’s email:

SIGNOFF GEOED-RESEARCH

4) SOME LISTSERV ETIQUETTE SUGGESTIONS
a. Use the list-serve to ask questions, share research findings, post job ads, or anything related to geoscience education research.
b. Be professional in responding to others on the list-serve.
c. Please do not use the list-serve to share jokes, recipes, or chat about the weather. We all get too much spam email as it is!
d. Don’t use attachments, as some people may not be able to read them. Paste text into the body of the email, or place the attachment on a webpage for people to download.