good morning.

Let me introduce myself, I am Glenn Dolphin (aka flipper) and I am
currently an Earth Science teacher in upstate New York.

I have been intrigued by the use of historically contextualized
experience to teach content.  In particular I have been teaching the
evolution of the theory of plate tectonics.  As part of my research for
the unit I am reading Danson's  (2006) "Weighing the World..."  I am not
understanding part of the book and was wondering if someone could help.

While trying to map large areas, cartographers utilize a method of
triangulation to get accurate measurements of length along, say, a line
of longitude.  It isn't explained how this is done (at least not yet,
anyways).  I myself am fairly geometrically challenged, and even
teachers that I have approached in the math department are not sure.
So, if there is anyone out there who can help me...I would surely
appreciate it.

Best regards,

flipper
Earth Science teacher
Earth Science DAL
Union - Endicott High School
Endicott, New York

"Anyone can slay a dragon," he told me,
"but try waking up every morning and loving the world all over again.

That's what takes a real hero."
Brian Andreas