Everyone,

We just had a breakthrough with Symantec’s Backup Exec 11d and their Oracle Agent.

Thanks so much for your input as it really has helped us think about what we needed to do if we go outside the Backup Exec solution.

Javier

From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Javier Ornelas
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 12:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Oracle assistance

We have an Oracle database and are in urgent need of some Oracle assistance.  Can anyone recommend a good Oracle consultant for on-site help?  The help we need is related to backing up our Oracle database.  It is a couple hundred GB in size and we need to do a hot backup of the database to keep the application up and running while backup is taking place.

One of the backup options that we tried is purchasing Symantec Backup Exec 11d and its Oracle agent.  We set up a server with the Backup Exec 11d software including the Oracle agent.  On the Oracle server, I installed the Backup Exec Remote Agent.  Here’s our problem when trying to use the Backup Exec product:  Our Oracle database SID and the Oracle database name are not the same.  The Remote Agent when I setup the Oracle portion of it lists the Oracle local instance name as ORA7.  ORA7 is not the database name that we are using.  Since our username of “backup” is not found in the database called ORA7, we get authentication problems.  I cannot type over the Oracle local instance name of ORA7 with our database name.  The Remote Agent is finding this local instance name from two things (according to Symantec tech support): services and registry.  We have tried to change items in the registry and this did not help matters.  ORA7 is still the only listed Oracle instance name found by the Remote Agent.

Symantec has told me that this isn’t their problem and that we need to fix things on our end.  This would mean a total rebuild of the Oracle database.  Needless to say, Symantec isn’t an option that we are going to pursue any longer.

Any recommendation for an Oracle consultant would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Javier Ornelas

MSU Health Information Technology

Network Services/Support