I work my oracle backups exactly as Dennis is suggesting. I have a few
scripts that dump my data to text or csv files, or ORACLE export files
and then i backup those files.
Has been working perfect for a few years now. I would happy to share my
scripts with you. They are very simple.

BTW, what version of ORACLE are you running?

--
Oscar Castaneda
Michigan State University