On Oct 9, 2007, at 1:30 PM, Vasquez, Timo wrote:

> Ray brings up a great point, making a cluster/setting up replication.
> Not sure how Oracle works in that sense but can you do log shipping
> and
> move copies of containers to a second oracle server?  Is you
> environment
> 24hr?  Can you have back up times that are when no one is in the
> production environment?  If not look into moving copies to  you
> offline
> server.

Antidotally, we use a combination of what Ray suggested and what
Dennis suggested for MySQL.  We use MySQL's replication facility to
replicate a read-only instance to another box (in another building),
and we then dump the database in the form of SQL statements and back
*that* up.  That way, we have a slave server, ready at all times to
flip to the master in the case of failure (manual fail-over), as well
as a simple backup/restore procedure.

./mk

--
Matt Kolb  <[log in to unmask]>