I'm sorry, but if we cannot disagree without being rude then perhaps this
forum has past its usefulness.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis Boone [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:25 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] E-mail Issues

 > The email system is essential for the types of pre-grant proposal
 > collaboration.  The final copy is probably Fed-ex'd but email forms the
 > bulk of the transactions that take place in developing our grant
 > proposals.

In the pre-grant phase, it's generally not that critical to have
delivery in a few seconds every time.  Right at the end, when you failed
to plan ahead, it may get harried.  At that point, changing your habits,
and phone calls and faxes and depending on your correspondents to
acknowledge receipt, are the order of the day.  And relatively few
agencies I know take proposal submissions by e-mail.

 > All of which seems to me to be a mute point.  Why on earth is anyone
 > arguing that email should be slow?  Ten to fifteen years ago the
 > bandwidths between email sites were such that email was slow of
 > necessity.  Today, email is a drop in the bandwidth bucket and rather
 > than expecting delays we should be much more in tune with the common
 > expectation that email is close to immediate.  CPU problems in filtering
 > spam I can understand but intentional built-in delays are IMHO
 > incompatible with 21st century organizational practices.  This is the
 > NOW generation, not the maybe-sometime crew and email for business,
 > group scheduling and collaboration should be delivered NOW except in
 > cases of exceptional technical constraint or equipment failure.  Quite
 > frankly, if I have to wait 30 seconds for some software company to send
 > me a software activation code via email, that's already too long.

Get serious.  A huge percentage of internet traffic is e-mail, mostly
due to the fact that a vast majority of e-mail is spam.  If it wasn't,
the whole greylisting concept wouldn't be necessary.

Greylisting is widely used, and has been for several years.  This is not
an MSU idea.  While everyone agrees that the first-time delays are
irksome, nearly everyone agrees that the spam reduction is very helpful.
The delays only happen once per sender, essentially, or perhaps once
every few months.  Most users never notice it's taking place, and after
the first message, most are delivered as quickly as you describe.  Those
few senders whose mail systems are so broken (i.e. not compliant with
the basics of the relevant RFCs) that they don't retry after receiving a
temporary failure need to fix their stupidly designed software.  Those
organizations with such problems that are widely used can be dealt with
by exceptions, and the mail team has clearly done a lot of work to cover
that angle.

And if you really have to panic-order software licenses that often,
we're back to you needing to plan ahead instead of bitching that the
mail system is causing all your problems.

Your arguments are specious.

De

http://www.eset.com