Since we are talking about collaboration, is there any interest in
"corporate" instant messaging? Our department has expressed interest
in the past in having instant messaging that would be internal to our
group. We haven't actually made the jump yet, but I have played
around with it.

We have toyed around with the idea of rolling out a Jabber server.
The software we liked was Openfire(http://www.igniterealtime.org/
projects/openfire/index.jsp). It has support for LDAP and Kerberos,
which makes it n easy fit for us since we could use our MSU kerberos
service for authentication.

The nice thing about Openfire is that it can interface with other
Jabber-compatible service providers so you can add people from
outside the university to your buddy list and it takes care of the
rest of the mojo.

I'd love to see a campus messaging service like that, but maybe
external providers are sufficient enough for our campus.
--Ray