I hear you and one level I certainly agree but $629 per server still comes to quite a bit.  I also hate to pay more for a utility than I did for the Windows 2003 software.  It just seems out of proportion to the effort that went into the software development.  Plus, I hate to reward software vultures…

From: Bosman, Don [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 10:21 AM
To: Laurence Bates
Subject: RE: [MSUNAG] Bare metal restore software

Define “too high” when a server has crashed and a dean is on the other end of the phone wanting to know when you’ll have it restored.

The one thing IT/IS people can guarantee is that someday something will fail and take the system down.

Windows Backup works and you can’t beat the price.  ;-)

Make the boot floppy or boot CD and save to a external USB drive. An explicitly mapped network share is easy to restore from. Down time isn’t actually that bad, but I’m speaking from personal experience not MSU employment experience.

Don Bosman
Information Technologist
Libraries, Michigan State University
  100 Library