From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto: [log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Scott Cassaday
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2007 1:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Windows Vista Aero transparency CPU costs

We have been testing vista at IMC since may. The whole aero shell also takes up much more ram than you would expect. All of the "pretty" textures and such are all done in a pretty high resolution and depending on your settings are even presented in "HD". Most of these graphics are stored in the system cache until use. Right now after a cold boot and with only windows mail open I only have 45% of my ram available... out of 2 gigs. And the ram hog is, you guessed it dwm.exe, sidebar.exe and explorer.exe.

Long and short of it, vista is a pretty looking ram hog.

Although, to be fair, I do like the OS. Other than its ram usage I cant say as though I have seen many other problems.

The networking setup was a pain though...

Scott Cassaday
Network Administrator
Instructional Media Center
Michigan State University