3. Lansing Localvore Events Challenge Week!
Sat. Sept. 8 Kick-off Pancake Breakfast at Gone Wired Cafe ! 9:00 to
Enjoy pancakes, sausage, and maple syrup--all local! $6 for adults and $4 for children. Gone Wired is located at 2021 E. Michigan Ave in Lansing. Tel. 517/853-0550. Advance tickets available at Gone Wired Cafe, Everybody Reads Bookstore, and East Lansing Food Coop.
Sat. Sept. 8 Tour of City Market. 11:30 a.m. City Market is located at the corner of Shiawassee and Cedar. The market is shaped like an "H" and your tour guide will meet you at the crossbar of the "H". There is ample parking.
Thurs. Sept. 13 Local First Reception
Local First is a new organization promoting not only local food, but all things local. Learn more at their inaugural reception at the Dublin Square Restaurant in East Lansing 327 Abbott Rd. featuring all local foods. Plus local beer and wine samples. 4:00 to 7:00 p.m. Suggested $10 donation.
VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED!
4. Thursday, September 20, 2007 Tri State Organic Video Conference Series-Organic Poultry Production. Held in Gratiot, Ingham and Gladwin counties (teleconference).6:00-8:30 pm. Call for reservations and information. Vicki 517-353-3542 or email [log in to unmask]
5. Thursday, November 15, 2007 Tri State Organic Video Conference Series-Organic Farming and Certification. Held in Gratiot, Ingham and Gladwin counties (teleconference).6:00-8:30 pm. Call for reservations and information contact Vicki 517-353-3542 or email [log in to unmask]
6. Compost barn seminar
Composting bedded pack versus conventional bedded pack, facility design, bedding, management and economics will be the topics covered at this event. The event will be held Thursday, September 20, from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM at the Zeeland Township Hall. Contact Charles Gould to register, 616-846-8250.
7. Open house for the new Animal Air Quality Research Facility and MSU Dairy Cattle Teaching and Research Center
Topics covered include: the MSU Farms CNMP, handling storm water runoff using intensive management, innovative biological and physical treatment strategies for milking center wash water, and the Animal Air Quality Research Facility. This event will be held Saturday, October 13, from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM at the MSU south campus dairy farms. A news release suitable for county newsletters is available at www.animalagteam.msu.edu
8. Three-day CNMP provider training
For private consultants, industry and agency personnel that want to either begin the required training for becoming a certified plan provider or just want the overall background on CNMP development. This event will take place November 13 through the 15, from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM each day in Bluffton, Ohio. Advanced registration required, visit www.animalagteam.msu.edu for details.
9. Balancing animal agriculture and communities
Experts from across the country will share information about the benefits and trade-offs of various animal agriculture systems and how they interact with communities. This conference will create a basis for constructive dialog by sharing the best available information and giving a realistic portrayal of all dimensions of the subject. We encourage state, township and county government officials, MSUE faculty and staff as well as all interested Michigan residents to attend. This event will be help on Friday, February 29, 2008, from 8:20 AM until 4:00 PM at the Kellogg Center on MSU’s campus. Save the date for now, details as they develop at www.animalagteam.msu.edu.
Organic Vegetable and Crop Outreach Specialist
Michigan State University
C.S. Mott Sustainable Food Systems
303 Natural Resources Bldg.
East Lansing, MI 48824
If you would like to access a searchable archive of the all the previous Mich-Organic listserv postings copy this URL and paste in your browser address field http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html