From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of John Valenti
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 1:08 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] More cellular: T-Mobile Hotspot@Home

Following up on Peter's query about AT&T:

Is anyone else using a T-mobile hotspot@home phone with the campus
network?

I tried a regular T-mobile phone in June, but found there was no
service for miles around Laingsburg. (even though the in-store
coverage map promised good signal all over zone 3 in Michigan)  The
day I returned that one was the day they announced the Hotspot@Home
phones.

Hotspot@Home is their name for a service that will switch over to a
wifi connection. I ended up trying one of those and was impressed by
the service. It worked great with my home wifi, and several other
places I tried it. But that first week it just wouldn't connect thru
MSU's network. I was all set to start capturing packets to debug it
the following week, but it magically worked on campus that week. Then
I went out of town for a week and when I returned it didn't work
again.  Just tried again and it still doesn't work. I'm not sure what
is going on.

What I liked about the service: for $10/month additional, you get
unlimited domestic calls over WiFi. It seamlessly switches over to a
GSM tower when you move out of WiFi range (unless you are in
Laingsburg and the tower is ten miles away). The call quality is very
good. Using WiFi, I get a great signal in my basement (home office)
and in my server room here on campus.

Two things I don't like: the phones don't include a wifi browser, so
if you need to agree to something before using wifi, you are stuck.
And the annoying issue with MSU's network working intermittently with
this service.