13. SSCC Farmer’s Market

Every Tuesday

2pm – 6:30pm

Solis, Jonathan

South Side Community Coalition

2101 W. Holmes Rd

Lansing MI, 48910

517 – 394 – 6846

The South Side Community Coalition Farmer’s Market is looking for Michigan farmers who want to sell their produce to Lansing residents in the Southwest section of Lansing. The SSCC has been permitted to accept Food Stamp also known as: (EBT or Bridge Card) and Project Fresh coupon (WIC). In the Southwest section of Lansing we have a large percentage of the population on EBT/Project Fresh. The market takes place every Tuesday until late October. We are also looking for vendors to sell their goods and services. There is no charge for the space provide. Please send this out to interested parties. Thank you for your time and support.

        Purpose of South Side Community Coalition Farmer’s Market:

o       Provide an opportunity for Lansing low-income residents in the surrounding area to be able to obtain fresh fruits and vegetables.

o       Promote nutrition and healthy eating of fresh fruits and vegetables in the community through education nutritional programs, easy access to fresh fruits, vegetables, and encourage participation in our community garden program.

*          Support small local farmers in the Mid-Michigan area.

*          **************************************************

Hello everyone! It is high summer and there is a ton in the works. Please visit our web site (www.fairfoodmatters.org <http://www.fairfoodmatters.org/> ) for the most up-to-date info on all of our progress and projects. Please take special note of all of the incredible local food events taking place in September, and culminating in Eat Local, Kalamazoo!, a celebration of local foods during the last week of September.

14. Farmers needed at Buchan Farmers Market (Berrien County)

8/6/07

Hello all,
We are from the Buchanan Farmers' Market in Berrien County.  We are looking for interested vendors to come sell at our lovely and sturdy permanent structure market, located downtown Buchanan.  It is small, with only ten stalls, but it is open-air, it has a hard cover over top to protect from rain (or to possibly hang a business sign) and each stall has running water and electricity.  We have loyal customers and consumers and we would like to add to our list of vendors before the season ends. Our market hours are Saturday 8am to 1pm.  Also, we will be open the last three Tuesday’s of August from 4 - 9 pm.
Anyone interested should call Molly, the Market Master, at 269-506-3021 or reply to this e-mail.
Please pass the word along for us, we are new market trying to establish our place in the community.

Thank You,
Molly Thornton
Buchanan Farmers' Market Master
269-506-3021

15. SIGN UP NOW for the last GROWING MATTERS GARDEN class of the season!

by Heather Crull, GMG garden manager

Starting August 7th, the Growing Matters Garden program will be hosting our last community education classes for the season. The last classes will focus on farms and food politics and are open to children, teens, adults, and families. During the session, students will learn about organic gardening while investigating where our food comes from, the impact it has on our environment, and how to help! For more information or to sign up, please call 342-0530 or download the flyer from our educational programs page at www.fairfoodmatters.org/gmg1.html <http://www.fairfoodmatters.org/gmg1.html> .

GROWING MATTERS GARDEN IN NEED OF HAY & PERENNIAL PLANTS
With the current drought like conditions, we are having some difficulty finding free (or even affordable) hay for mulch.  If you know of someone who might have spoiled hay to donate to the program or who is selling hay mulch (preferably for under $3 a bale), please contact the garden manager at 342-0530 or at [log in to unmask]

The Growing Matters Garden is also looking for perennial flowers and herbs for several beds at the main garden site.  We are especially in need of native flowers/plants that tolerate full sun or herbs that are strong smelling (mints, lemon balm, lavender, thyme, tansy, rosemary, etc). Divided plants from your yard or garden should work fine. If you have some to spare, please contact the garden manager, again, at 342-0530 or [log in to unmask]

16. COMMUNITY KITCHEN UPDATE

Upcoming events centered around food
by Lucy Bland, Community Kitchen coordinator

The rumors are true: the kitchen trailer is indeed, in Kalamazoo. FFM is signing a contract with MOFFA and will have it for the next two years. The insurance debacle finally got sorted out and now we're just waiting for
the opportune time to park it at the Kalamazoo County Fairgrounds. Unfortunately (not for those fair ride lovers!), the County Fair is upon us very soon and the trailer will be moved from the Fairgrounds for 2 weeks. We look forward to having it up and running in time for the fall harvest. So get your salsa recipes and Ball jars ready! Meanwhile we're
busy looking for grants (thanks to the help of Kelly Doyle and Chris Moore), promoting the kitchen (thanks to Bradley Post), and working with NEPG on findind a permanent location. Soon you'll be able to keep up with the Community Kitchen Project at our new webpage. Please email [log in to unmask] if you're interested in helping or using the
kitchen.

FUTURE CHEFS COMES TO A SUCCESSFUL CLOSE
by Lucy Bland, Future Chefs coordinator

You can rest assured that 15 more of Kalamazoo's teens are now armed with the skills to cook a heatlhy meal! Future Chefs' fourth year was a success, as the students learned how to do a mini-catering set up, make and present beautiful vegetable h'ors duerves, bake flourless chocolate cake, fry homemade tortilla chips and guacamole, and throw together a delicious bruschetta. Hey, we could start a restaurant! Well that's a little much at this point, but look for the Future Chefs at the Southwest Michigan Community Harvest Fest on September 23rd, in the food tent. They will be selling some goodies and learning the customer service side of cooking. The program simply wouldn't have happened without the hard work of Arlene Brislen, Rosie Florian, and a handful of local chefs. Thank you!

EAT LOCAL, KALAMAZOO!

by Seema Jolly, Eat Local, Kalamazoo! coordinator

“Eat Local, Kalamazoo!” is a celebration of local foods, bringing together farmers, food workers, restauranteurs, students, teachers, merchants, food distributors, neighborhoods, community groups—well, anyone who eats!

There will be a number of events taking place in September including:

Eat Local Challenge

Throughout the month of September, the Eat Local Challenge will encourage Kalamazoo Community residents             to purchase local foods

Sunday, September 9 ~ Harvest Dinner

            Held at Kirklin Farm, sponsored by Food Dance

Saturday, September 15 & 22 ~ Shop the Local Markets with Julie Stanley

            Join Food Dance’s Julie Stanley to shop the Kalamazoo Farmers’ Market and the Food Dance Market. After                 picking the best of what’s local, Julie will prepare a treat for all to try at the Food Dance Market.

Sunday, September 23 ~ Southwest Michigan Community Harvest Fest at Tillers International

            Journalist Alisa Smith and her partner, writer J.B. Mackinnon, co-authors of Plenty: One Man, One Woman, and             a Raucous Year of Eating Locally, will give the keynote at the festival

Monday, September 24 ~ A forum at Kalamazoo College with Alisa Smith and J.B. Mackinnon on social justice

Tuesday, September 25 ~ A reading and discussion at Kalamazoo Public Library by Alisa Smith and J.B. Mackinnon

Other events throughout the week include a panel discussion on how eating local can grow our economy, a presentation of local foods throughout the world, an evening of music and an interfaith harvest celebration.

For more information, or to find out you can get involved with Eat Local, Kalamazoo! contact Seema at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> .

17. THREE RIVERS SUSTAINABLE FOOD GROUP

The Three Rivers Sustainable Food Group's next meeting will be Sunday August 26th at 4:30 pm. John Howie, director of GilChrist Retreat Center of the Fetzer Institute, will be our guest speaker, on his expirements with a raw food diet. Call Karla Kauffman for more information: 269-244-8979 or [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

People who help to make FAIR FOOD MATTER
by Chris Dilley, FFM board chair

I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge all the fine folks who work so hard to make these projects happen. Thanks to Heather Crull and the GMG educators! Thanks to the two K College interns who are dedicating their summer to help make these projects soar: Kara Purcell (KAFSI) and Seema Jolly (Eat Local, Kalamazoo!). Volunteers Rosie Florian and Arlene Brislen and several guest chefs from local restaurants are taking Future Chefs to a new level. Interns Chris Moore and Bradley Post are helping to make the Community Kitchen idea a reality. And I would also like to acknowledge the FFM board members who volunteer their time to create and oversee these programs: Dennis Wilcox, Lucy Bland, Elizabeth Forest, Janice Marsh-Prelesnik, Karla Kauffman, and our newest board members Scott Weber and Nora Chaus. Thanks to each and every person who contributes to the important work of this organization. We truly could not do it without you!

KNHS Seeks Budding Community Builders

Kalamazoo Neighborhood Housing Services (KHNS) has a class entitled Community Builders, a skill-based community leadership class oriented to residents of Kalamazoo that is currently going on. There is a minimal registration fee, food is provided, and meetings occur once a week on Sunday evenings from 5-7pm. If you are interested in further information, please contact Emily Fraser at [log in to unmask] or by telephone at (517) 231-5505.

First Monday Herb Gathering

Come on over to the monthly gathering of Blossoming Herbalists at the home business and gardens of Granny Janny Herbs. This month's theme will be, Developing Relationship With the Energetics of Herbs. The gathering will be facilitated by Janice Marsh-Prelesnik, Herbalist and Midwife.

August 6 from 6:30-8:30
Cost is $15.00 or 2 hours of work in the garden.

Held at Granny Janny Herbs

12901 Fort Custer Drive

Galesburg, MI 49053

269.665.7797

www.grannyjannyherbs.com

18. Sustainable Table – a non profit program that create Meatrix

NEW YORK, NEW YORK, Jul. 31 -/E-Wire (www.sustainabletable.org), the nonprofit program that produced The Meatrix (www.themeatrix.com) movies and the Eat Well Guide (www.eatwellguide.org), is traveling across the country to celebrate local, sustainable food and the folks who produce, distribute, promote and eat it.

Kicking off in Hollywood on Aug. 2, Sustainable Table's "Eat Well Guided Tour of America" will travel via bio-fueled bus across the United States, stopping in more than 25 towns on its way to the Farm Aid concert in New York City on Sept. 9. The tour will visit restaurants that serve local, seasonal and sustainably-produced food, family farms and farmers markets in California, Oregon, Washington, Montana, Wyoming, Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York.

"The Eat Well Guided Tour of America is more than just a road trip," said Diane Hatz, founder and director of Sustainable Table. "Given recent negative news about food, we want to show people the incredible, positive things happening in the sustainable food movement right now. The more people support their local farmers and local food systems, the better off our communities are."

From the kickoff in West Hollywood's King's Road Park to the "Pie and Popcorn" barn-side film screening in Ohio, Sustainable Table and its local hosts will delight in the summer's harvest while bringing together area residents for events that will include local food, great conversation and local music. Highlights of the tour include:

"Pie Across America" - Pies are a great metaphor for local, wholesome food, and their ingredients tell stories about the people who bake them and the areas where they're created. Sustainable Table will honor pie-making traditions by baking, tasting, comparing, and eating endless varieties of pies from across the country.

The September launch of the Eat Well Guide "road trip" feature - Think Eat Well Guide meets Mapquest. Conscientious eaters will be able to map out routes with sustainable food outlets from start point to destination.

Other web features - Video blogging, daily written updates, an interactive map where visitors can track the team's progress and check out site-specific photos, videos and recipes, as well as daily questions posed in-person and discussed on the Meatrix Forum.

Join Sustainable Table online or on the road! Visit www.sustainabletable.org/roadtrip to track the tour.

About Sustainable Table - Sustainable Table celebrates the sustainable food movement, educates consumers on food-related issues and builds community through food. Projects include The Meatrix, award-winning, humorous animations on industrial agriculture, and the Eat Well Guide, an online directory of sustainably-raised products from farms, stores, restaurants and other outlets in the United States and Canada. Sustainable Table is a program of GRACE. Contact Info:

Leslie Hatfield