Hey NAG-

I have a sticky problem that is eluding me causing  grief.  In one of our labs I this command to connect a network printer and make it available to all users of the computer:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ga /n\\server\%printername%

The command seems to have worked because when I connect with any user that has admin rights the printer shows up and works just fine.  However when I log in with the normal account that would be used on the computer which is just a normal user account the printer does NOT show up.

Also when I browse for the printer and right click on it and click connect to connect it manually I get the following error:

"You do not have sufficient access to your computer to connect to the selected printer".

When I add this user to the local administrators group and log off and log in, as I said the printer shows up and works.  Then if I remove them from the local administrators group and log off and log back on it does not and will not even let me manually connect to it.

I am assuming that the error is why the printer is not showing up.  Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to give that user sufficient access to the computer to connect to the printer?

With 2003 that error is easy to fix as you just add that user that is enabled on the “enable users to install  printer drivers”, but in XP there is no such local policy (that I can find)  Client OS is XP Pro SP2.  Has anyone else ran into this?

Ehren J. Benson, MCSE

Windows Systems Administrator

Department of Physics and Astronomy

Michigan State University