From: Elaine Montoya - AUG - General
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 11:20 AM
To: Kwiatkowski, Nicholas
Subject: RE: Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 - AUG - General - Adobe User Group [AUGGEN]

Elaine Montoya wrote:

There are a lot of variables - but in general, capturing does require
processing power - and more so - memory.

Here are some thoughts....

- how much ram is on the machine? that is actually more important
with video than processor speed
- when doing video work, I would never think of doing another task on
the computer while capturing video. If you loose frames in the
process, and your setting are set to stop capture on lost frames, it
will stop capturing - which sounds exactly like what Richard is
experiencing. If you changes your settings to not stop capturing on
dropped frames, you will have poor video
- for the screen saver to come on, it also leads me to believe that
he is trying to capture large segments at a time. While this is
possible, it actually isn't 'standard procedure' when you are
editing. You will usually view your dailies through a deck, document
the time codes of the takes you want to capture, then go back and
capture only those segments. I do know many people when starting in
video tend to think it is easier to just capture everything - and
then cut out what you don't need, but in the long run, it is more
time consuming. (p.s. - turn your screen saver off...)
- when editing professionally, companies will purchase a dedicated
workstation to ONLY run Premiere Pro (or Final Cut Pro) on - to make
sure nothing else interferes with the performance of the video
editing software.

So, no - I wouldn't say video capture on Windows is 'still that
brittle' - the same would most likely be experienced on a Mac as
well. It is the technique behind capturing video that usually causes
problems.

elaine

elaine montoya
adobe community expert