From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Eric Weston
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 8:46 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Red Hat Xen virtualization

   I'm a newbie when it comes to virtualization, learning by diving into
the deep end. I set up a test box, running Red Hat Enterprise AS 5 on a
Dell Optiplex GX620, which has Pentium D processor. Once I had my test
box built, I tried (and failed) to get a guest os installed on a virtual
host. I used the GUI "Virtual Machine Manager" in the failed attempts.
The process seems to work just fine, until I finish the installation of
the guest OS and click reboot. The guest OS shuts down just fine, but it
does not come back up, and the guest OS no longer appears in the Virtual
Machine Manager. I suspect there might be an issue with the processor.
The Red Hat documentation I read didn't indicate the Pentium D processor
is supported, or indicate it was not supported. When setting up the
guest OS, the VMM only allowed me to set up paravirtualized guests, and
displayed a message indicating that full virtualization is not supported
by the processor. Since paravirtualization only supports a select few
OSes, I used RHEL5 for the guest OS, which is the OS of the host as
well.

    Any ideas?

              Thanks,
                      Eric Weston, Libraries Systems