MSU Telecom Systems is proud to announce the availability of the MSUmobility Platform as a field-trial, available to users of the Avaya Campus PBX.

Telecom Systems has partnered with Avaya, Qwest, Borderware and ACNS to deliver this new platform which will allow our campus members to be able to access the functionality of their campus phone from any broadband connected internet site*.  This platform is meant to be used for disaster recovery, tele-worker and tele-presence applications.

We are currently deploying SIP to allow for:

  • SIP Softphones – Allows you to use your desk-telephone on any Windows or Mac based computer.  Place and receive telephone calls, check your voicemail, and control call-forwarding.
  • SIP Hardphone – Uses an Avaya 4610 or Avaya 9630 desktop telephone (similar to the traditional telephones offered today) from any broadband connected site* to utilize your campus phone number.  Calls from this phone are billed back to your regular campus phone. (We have some of these available for testing, more are available for purchase)
  • SIP ATA Device – Uses a Linksys / Cicso / Sipura device to provide analog dialtone that mirrors your desktop phone.  Calls from this phone are billed back to your regular campus phone. (We have some of these available for testing, more are available for purchase)
  • SIP Presence / Instant Messaging – Using our free SIP client, you can setup your own controlled instant messaging and “telepresence” groups.  This allows you to see the status of others (On the phone / Out to lunch / Available, etc), as well as directly communicate with them.  Double click on their name, and be able to call them.
  • SIP Connectivity – Setup ad-hoc teleconferencing and videoconferencing from within our custom client.  All you would need to know is their campus telephone number or email address.

During our trial, these features will be available for FREE to any Avaya Campus PBX user, and available for $10/month for non-campus PBX users.  It is expected that there will be a minimal fee for Campus PBX users after our trial is over (expected to be by the beginning of the Fall semester).

If you wish to participate in this field-trial, or have any questions of its function, please contact Nick Kwiatkowski at [log in to unmask].  Please include your name, department, MSUnet ID, and campus telephone number.  The field-trial will go live on the 2nd of July.

* Broadband Connected Site = at least 512/256 kbps connection with at most a 80ms roundtrip delay.  Some firewalls may block connectivity to this service.  If you are utilizing Juniper or Cisco firewalls, please make sure to upgrade to the latest firmware.

Nicholas Kwiatkowski
Communication Systems Analyst
Telecommunication Systems Department
Michigan
State University

Direct: 517-432-2528
Dept / Customer Service / Trouble: 517-353-5515
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Website: www.telecom.pp.msu.edu