From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Russell J. Lahti
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 11:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] New spam-fighting technique for mail.msu.edu going
to DDC mailing list

I can't tell you how many broken MTA's there are out there
that will not handle a TEMPFAIL correctly, and junk the mail
instead of queuing it for later delivery attempts.  While I
definitely don't have much sympathy for the people running
these non-RFC compliant systems, they definitely are out there,
and answering the question of:

Will greylisting block valid email messages?

With the response:

No. Greylisting will eventually allow all valid mail servers
that resend messages to mail.msu.edu to process normally.

is a slight bit misleading.  There is a definite chance that
what an end user might consider legitimate mail might be lost
by implementing greylisting.  While a vast majority will work
normally, some will likely not.  For example, web apps that
have been developed to emulate an SMTP conversation instead
of dumping the mail to an MTA queue for delivery, etc.

I'd be interested in what others have run across in their
greylisting endeavors.  The few times that I have seen it
implemented I have also seen it removed.

-Russell