If I understood everything correctly, the version of Java that ships
with ColdFusion 7 is 1.4.2_05 which doesn't have the updated DST
rules and data.  A newer version, 1.4.2_11 does include this
information so you have to install the 1.4.2_11 JDK and then point
ColdFusion at the new JVM.

As to where the time values actually come from, I'm lead to believe
they are somehow internally calculated within the JVM, at least
that's what the following two links point me towards.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=d2ab4470
http://java.sun.com/javase/tzupdater_README.html

-t