On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 09:02:00AM -0400, Chris Wolf wrote:

> Since the greylisting went into effect last Wednesday morning, I have not
> received a single spam message, either marked or unmarked, through my
> mail.msu.edu account. Prior to the change I was getting five or ten per day,
> so I would have expected 25 to 50 during those five days.
>
> My MSU mail is forwarded to an Exchange server, where Microsoft's IMF
> filters out the most obvious spam so it doesn't even reach my mailboxes. I
> suspect that without this additional filtering I would still be getting some
> spam from my MSU account, but the improvement from the greylisting is still
> pretty impressive. (During this period I did get a single spam message
> addressed directly to my Exchange mailbox, which of course is unaffected by
> the greylisting.)
>
> Are others also seeing a dramatic improvement?

I'm seeing fairly significant improvement.  I haven't tuned SpamAssassin
locally, but my mailbox which collects the centrally-flagged spam is showing
much lower volumes.  I will often receive 1,000 messages in my spam box over
a typical weekend - this weekend, it was under 100.  Of the messages which
evade the spam filtering, I maybe see 5-10 per day where I saw 20-30 before.

Doug

--

Doug Nelson, Network Manager		 |  [log in to unmask]
Academic Computing and Network Services	 |  Ph: (517) 353-2980