Cox: CRC Report On Prop 2 Political Document
In an interview today with MIRS, Attorney General Mike COX called a 66
page report released yesterday by the Civil Rights Commission (CRC) that
examined the impact of Proposal 2 on state programs, a "political
document" that if followed could result in more legal challenges to the
state.

"To me it's pretty clear that it's a political document it's not really
a serious analysis," Cox told MIRS. "If you look at the beginning of it,
they talk about the history and they start throwing mud at Ward CONNERLY
and they talk about rulings made at the Board of Canvassers before it
was submitted to the voters."

Cox remarked that from the very beginning the report is about political
rhetoric and "not really about seriously addressing the issues."

Harold CORE, public information officer for the Department of Civil
Rights, said he can only reconfirm what the department said when it
released the report (See "CRC Finds Most Programs Unaffected By Prop 2,"
03/07/07).

"We were asked by the Governor to conduct a statewide review," Core
said. "To publish specifically what we thought the impacts of Proposal 2
would be and how we could continue to pursue diversity."

When pressed about whether there was a political agenda behind the
report, Core said "I guess if there was an agenda, it was the one stated
in the report, looking at how Michigan could continue to promote
diversity and equal opportunity in compliance with Proposal 2."

The Attorney General also took issue with some of the report's
recommendations.

"If you read some parts of it [the report], they want to take some of
the exceptions in the amendment and make them the rule," he said. "Like
they have this idea if in the future, you're a state agency and you
might get federal funding than you should have a diversity plan, in case
you might. Of course that's just logic that's meant to get around the
strictures of Proposal 2."

On whether following the report could lead state agencies into
political hot water, Cox said "yes."

"If they rely on this political document, then yeah, they will be
facing more litigation over the years," he said. The AG added that the
experienced civil servants and the smart political appointees will "come
to us and that's just how it's going to work out."

"If they do that, we'll help keep them out of trouble, or help them
change what needs to be changed," Cox added.