Mark,
I see you using the word "synchronize"; roaming profiles does not
provide synchronizing functionality, I think whats causing you
synchronizing problems is "Offline Files". It has been my experience
that offline files causes lots of problems with roaming profiles,
Microsoft even recommends not combining the two technologies.
Roaming profiles provides uploading, downloading, and merging
functionality, but only during a logon or logoff event. If the user
losses connectivity to the server while logged on, the roaming profile
is not affected.
I could also be misunderstanding your problem.

--
  Steven Foley  <[log in to unmask]>
  Systems Administrator  <[log in to unmask]>