So I guess you don't subscribe to the "Always wait for the first service
pack" approach? That's what I expect to do, although things could change.

I notice that the $59 license is for the Business Edition. Have you already
decided that you have no need for the additional features in the Enterprise
Edition? That's one of the biggest complications in Vista--the choice
between five versions.  I'm even slightly concerned that some faculty will
want the Ultimate Edition.

Finally, I expect that when we do adopt Vista, it will be for new computer
purchases only. In the past our general practice has been that a computer
would keep its original operating system for its entire life here. With
Windows XP, we made the first major departure from that, and went back and
upgraded a large number of computers that had started with Windows 2000.
However, it appears that Vista's hardware performance requirements combined
with a lack of drivers for some older devices will make it more challenging
to upgrade the OS on older machines. Anyway, concentrating on new purchases
would mean we'll be buying whatever version(s) of Vista our vendors are
offering. It's not clear yet whether the Enterprise Edition will be
available on purchases from Dell, Lenovo and others, or how much it will
cost.