From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Richard Wiggins
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 12:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] off site backups

I agree with Chris.  Yesterday UCLA reported a break-in that exposed
SSNs and other personal information for 800,000 people (which must
included fac/staff/students/applicants for decades).  That was a
tightly-guarded server locked in a machine room on campus.  And Boeing
revealed that for the third time this year (!!!) a laptop with SSNs and
other personal info was stolen, affecting 322,000 people.  This was a
direct violation of company policy.

So I think a better statement would be that you shouldn't use home
backup for systems that house confidential or sensitive information.
And you should not carry around large datasets with personal information
on laptops, thumb drives, or other portable devices.

It might help if people thought of sensitive data as radioactive.  You
wouldn't carry radioactive materials in your car or to your house.

/rich