We are in the process of making a formal arrangement with another
cross-campus department to exchange space.  We each have the same size
safe and will provide each other with a secure spot for that safe.  No
fees as payment is made by providing space.  Each group has a contact
list of folks participating in this. Access is granted by contacting one
of those folks to arrange a time during normal business hours -- except
during emergencies.

If all of MSU goes up in smoke, then, no, this won't be enough distance.
But it will certainly be far enough if just my building has a problem.

Taking tapes home is not a good idea as has been demonstrated several
times by other Universities and businesses having tapes stolen from a
sys admin's car or home.

If you know of another department with this need and a reasonable
distance away from your building (next door may not be far enough), try
contacting their sys admin to set up a mutual storage arrangement.

  ~ Esther

Esther V. V. Reed
MSU Graduate School
East Lansing, MI   48824