Rich--
I agree; Steve's suggestion is good.  We sent a reminder about not opening unexpected attachments out to our users yesterday.  It's just part of "safe computing" in the "Naughty Oughties."  But I do like the added layer of security of having something besides M$ Office be my default.  I like the price, too.
--Bill.
-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Wiggins [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Saturday, 09 December, 2006 12:01 PM
To: Wheeler, Bill
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Apparently a zero-day attack using Word is happening

Bill,

I think that can offer a lot of protection, but I wouldn't assume that it's 100%.  The Mac versions of Word are  reportedly vulnerable to this same exploit.  Obviously the binary executables are different.  If StarOffice mimics a particular function in Word closely enough, for instance with macros, then it could be vulnerable to certain attacks.  My guess is your strategy would protect against this particular exploit.

STeve's suggestoin to have folks send a separate message alerting the recipient that an attachment is on its way is really good advice.  The virus can spoof the e-mail headers but won't be able to spoof text in the style of your correspondents.  I hope it doesn't come to secret passcodes!

/rich