From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Stephen W Asman
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2006 5:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Adobe License Manger

We were getting ready to start installing Adobe Acrobat Pro 8 on several
machines that we support here.  We've been buying the licenses for a couple
of weeks now and just received the installation media.  When I logged on to
Adobe license site to get our licenses keys there's an extensive notice
about "Adobe License Manager" (ALM).   Everything seems to indicate that
this is a requirement now.  The choices are basically that either we let
Adobe monitor our license compliance, or we need to set up an ALM server to
monitor it ourselves.  I have several problems with this:

1. We are in the process of setting up an asset management system that will
monitor our license compliance on all of the software that our unit
supports.  I see no need to set up a separate service just to accommodate
one vendor.

2. Will we soon need to have ALM like products for each major software title
we support?

3. What sort of information does this thing send out and receive?

4. Could Adobe turn off our Acobat 8 licenses when they decide not to
support it any more?

Could go on but I don't want to rant for too long.  Am I way off base here
or does this thing bother anybody else?

Stephen W. Asman
Microcomputer Hardware & Software Coordinator
Health Information Technology
Room A536C East Fee Hall
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824