Chris,

I agree with you that processing spam before forwarding would be a
beneficial change. There's definitely a good size of the mail.msu.edu users
that are setting up filters to do so, which is a known issue of confusion.

Unfortunately our current architecture wouldn't allow this to be a straight
forward change. Your suggestion is on our list of possible future
enhancements.

Thanks,
Ed