This is the most on-target comment I've seen in this thread.

With the University's supposed concern about the security of sensitive data
and their own liability in the event of a breach, it's ridiculous for every
department to have to figure out their own arrangements for secure storage
of backups. Issuing advisory statements, distributing security policies and
holding "town hall" meetings about the subject is fine, but why don't they
take some real action at the University level that actually helps
departments follow guidelines?