I'm not sure I see the problem with taking backups home for off-site storage
in some situations.  It's not perfect, but it adds an enormous amount of
additional safety in a very cheap and convenient way. I have even
recommended that faculty keep one copy of their backup of their office
desktop computer at home. Regarding possible theft, faculty all over campus
take their university-owned portable computers containing university data
home (not to mention all over the world), and I would say that a computer is
much more likely to be stolen during a home burglary (or from a traveler in
an airport) than some tapes are.

I agree that for AIS servers and other machines that have large amounts of
sensitive data, it's worthwhile to have a more secure arrangement, but for
many other situations in academic departments a home is not a bad off-site
location.