I just had to deal with this on Wednesday when installing our first copy of
Acrobat 8.  I found their site very confusing, with instructions in
different places that contradict each other. It does say there is a
"one-year transition period, starting in November 2006, during which you may
opt out of e-licensing". I decided I might as well set it up now, and
muddled my way through the process for my one license. We then installed the
one copy and it successfully retrieved its license from Adobe.

The next day I got a lengthy email message telling me that "The pool of
Acrobat Professional 8.0 e-licenses your organization selected to host at
Adobe is empty and the system is now issuing overdraft e-Licenses for all
incoming requests."  The message was addressed to me and [log in to unmask],
which is a person I don't know. I followed the instructions in the message
to go to their web site and view a report about my licenses. It showed me
one license with my serial number, but strangely showed three seats
purchased and three licenses issued and no seats available, even though I
only bought one license. I submitted an inquiry to them about this, but
haven't received an answer. Today I went and looked at the report again, and
now it shows 93 seats purchased, 4 issued, 89 seats available and one
overdraft issued.  (It also displays the warning "Some overdrafts in use.
Purchase additional licenses.", which seems screwed up when just below it
says 89 seats are available. Either I'm not interpreting it right, or their
elaborate new system is buggy.)

So, I'm starting to think that everyone at MSU is sharing one instance in
Adobe License Manager, which is going to make it pretty useless. If this is
the case, one person could install more copies than they purchased and
others would be denied their licenses.

I hope someone from the Computer Store can look into this and tell us what's
going on.