On the IE blog Microsoft is sending signals that IE7 will be in
Windows Update very soon.

See this post Microsoft put on their IE 7 blog, Published Friday,
October 06, 2006 5:40 PM by ieblog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/10/06/IE7-Is-Coming-This-Month_2E002E002E00_Are-you-Ready_3F00_.aspx

IE7 Is Coming This Month...Are you Ready?

The final release of IE7 is fast approaching … and I mean really fast
… and will be delivered to customers via Automatic Updates a few weeks
after it's available for download. We want to ensure that you are
ready and the information below will help get you there.

....  So whether it's November 1 or November 15 or whatever, it
behooves us to be ready.    It is a very different model for the
vendor to push browser upgrades via automated update,  instead of end
users or their computer support people deciding when to make the move.

/rich