Heads-up for those supporting Windows computers:

Today I was reminded that on November 1, Windows Update will begin
offering users the option of installing Internet Explorer 7. It will
be offered to local users who are logged in as Administrator starting
that day.  Users can say Yes, No, or Later.

I've been running IE 7 for months now, and while its HTML rendering is
much better than day 1, it is quite a bit different than the look and
feel of earlier IE versions.  This could cause user confusion.
Lately I've had it crash on me frequently, though earlier it was
stable.  (Could be a change un my usage.)

The warning for use of a self-signed certificate is much sterner. The
message says:

     We recommend you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

We will be sure that help desks are briefed and we'll have knowledge
base articles on this up in a day or two.

For managed desktops in a domain there is a way for sysadmins to
suppress the offer of updating:

More information is at:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/updatemanagement/windowsupdate/ie7announcement.mspx

Here are pertinent passages:

Automatic Updates Delivery Process

The automatic delivery process will notify users that an update is
available and allow users to choose whether to install Internet
Explorer 7. The process is described below ...

Automatic Updates will only offer Internet Explorer 7 to users with
local administrator accounts. Automatic Updates will notify all such
users (including those with Automatic Updates configured to
automatically download and install updates) when Internet Explorer 7
has been downloaded and is ready to install. The notification and
installation process will not start unless and until a user who is a
local administrator logs on to the machine. Users who are not local
administrators will not be prompted to install the update and will
thus continue using Internet Explorer 6.

After clicking on the Automatic Updates notification balloon, users
will see a welcome screen summarizing key features of Internet
Explorer 7 and presenting three options - Install, Don't Install, and
Ask Me Later.

If a user selects "Install": The installation process will commence
and require Windows Genuine Advantage validation and a re-boot to
complete. Installation of Internet Explorer 7 will not override a
user's default browser choice and will transfer the user's previous
homepage, favorites, search settings and compatible toolbars. When the
user launches Internet Explorer 7, a first-run experience will be
offered highlighting new features and changes.

If a user selects "Don't Install": The notification process will not
re-prompt the user to install at a later time; however, any user who
is a local administrator will be able to install Internet Explorer 7
at any time as an optional update from the Windows Update and
Microsoft Update sites or from the Microsoft Download Center.

If a user selects "Ask Me Later": The install process will not proceed
and Automatic Updates will start notifying the user that an update is
available using the same process (notification balloon and welcome
screen) within approximately 24 hours.

Internet Explorer 7 will replace Internet Explorer 6 on a user's
machine. However, users may roll back to Internet Explorer 6 by
uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 via the Windows Control Panel
Add/Remove Programs utility.

/rich