I agree that it seems a bit different than in the past, but let's really
examine it..

1) It only notifies users who have administrator privileges.  How many
managed computers on campus actually have users logging on for daily work
under an administrator account? Ours don't.  (We also have them set up with
a WSUS server so they don't get Microsoft's automatic updates anyway, but
that's a different issue.)

2) It's not truly an "automatic" update in the way that normal security
patches are. Even if the computer is set up for completely automatic updates
and someone (either the end user or computer support) logs on as an
administrator, the update will NOT install without permission, so it in no
way will install without "end users or their computer support people
deciding when to make the move".

3) The description of the Automatic Update schedule for IE7 is very much
like that for XP SP2, in that it will not be made available to every
computer immediately on the first day.  They say it will take several months
to complete (presumably to avoid overloading their download sites). So only
a small proportion of computers will be affected by this on the morning they
roll it out.

So, my question is--Is this really that different from the way IE6 was
offered as part of Windows Update? At that time, if you went to Windows
Update in order to keep up with necessary security patches (for which you
had to be logged on as administrator), the IE6 upgrade was offered to you
and you could choose not to install it if you didn't want to. I don't
remember any great outcry from computer support people about this.

To me, the IE7 plan seems like almost exactly the same model, adapted for
Automatic Updates.